Table of Contents
III. Spiriva for Asthma and COPD
IV. Spiriva for Children and Adults
Spiriva (tiotropium bromide) is a prescription bronchodilator medication that's used to treat the symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Spiriva Respimat and generic Spiriva come with several benefits, including:
- Suitable for patients of all ages.
- Long-term improvement.
- Treats both asthma and COPD.
As one of the top 100 most-prescribed drugs in the U.S., millions of people are already enjoying the benefits of Spiriva.  Here, we'll take a closer look at each one.
There are two main types of inhalers: fast-acting inhalers (also known as rescue inhalers) and long-acting inhalers (also known as maintenance inhalers).
While the former is only intended for use immediately following an asthma or COPD exacerbation (often referred to as an attack or flare-up), the latter is used on a regular, ongoing basis to manage and reduce symptoms over time.
Spiriva is a long-acting inhaler, and its ability to improve symptoms in the long-term isn't only beneficial for patients' quality of life: It can also be life-saving.
After all, both asthma and COPD exacerbations can be severely harmful or even fatal. That's because both make it harder for patients to breathe, meaning they aren't able to take in as much oxygen.
An inadequate amount of oxygen can cause the body's lungs and other organs to suffer lasting damage, and can even result in death.
Luckily, Spiriva helps to prevent asthma or COPD exacerbations from happening in the first place.
For instance, one study found that in patients with asthma, those using Spiriva experienced a 75% lower exacerbation rate and 35% lower exacerbation risk compared to those using a common type of inhaler called inhaled corticosteroid/long-acting beta agonist (ICS/LABA) inhalers.
Further, when used as directed, Spiriva can greatly improve patients' ability to breathe for a full 24 hours after each dose.
Spiriva for Asthma and COPD
Even though people with both asthma and COPD experience difficulty breathing, the two conditions are very different.
Some of the key differences between asthma and COPD include:
- COPD is a progressive disease, meaning it worsens over time, while asthma symptoms can come and go. In some cases, asthma symptoms can be completely reversed.
- Asthma exacerbations are often triggered by certain events such as exercise or an increase in allergens, while COPD exacerbations are often caused by a lung infection.
- Asthma is typically diagnosed in childhood, while COPD is usually diagnosed in middle-aged or elderly adults.
- COPD is usually caused by smoking or exposure to high levels of pollutants, while asthma is usually caused by certain allergies or a hereditary predisposition.
- Despite these differences, Spiriva has the unique ability to treat patients with either or both conditions. So, whether a patient has been coping with asthma their whole life or has only recently been diagnosed with COPD, they can still benefit from Spiriva's effects.
Spiriva for Children and Adults
Spiriva was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2004 for the treatment of COPD. As a disease contracted solely by adults, this didn't have much of an implication for children, adolescents or young adults.
Then, Spiriva was approved for the treatment of asthma in adults and adolescents in 2015. In 2017, Spiriva was also approved for the treatment of asthma in children.
The result is that asthma patients of nearly any age can now reap the potentially life-saving benefits of Spiriva, whether they're 10 or 100 years old.
Consider that according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), one in every 13 people — or 25 million Americans — has asthma (by comparison, about 16 million American adults have COPD).  Put another way, 7.7% of adults and 8.4% of children live with asthma.
With so many people in so many age groups dealing with the symptoms and negative health effects of asthma on a daily basis, Spiriva's ability to treat people of all ages is not to be overlooked.
So, while both COPD and asthma may be all too common, Spiriva can offer the long-term relief that patients want and need. Buy Spiriva Respimat or Spiriva Handihaler online now to save money on your prescription. To learn more about Spiriva, read our blog section today.
DISCLAIMER: The information in the article is not meant to be used for treatment or diagnosis. It is designed for general awareness and for information purposes only. Always consult a medical professional for your specific healthcare needs.